top of page

How to prepare for your registration with Yorkshire Education

Once you have decided that you want to work as a supply teacher, cover supervisor, teaching assistant or nursery practitioner, the next step is to arrange a registration appointment with Yorkshire Education which starts the process of getting you cleared for working in schools or nurseries. It could take from a couple of days to a month for the various checks to be completed so it’s a good idea to register ahead of the time you want to start.

The process of chasing references, arranging a DBS and completing a safeguarding certificate are common items that slow down the clearance process which is why we want to provide the following advice to help speed this up so you can be cleared and ready to receive work as soon as possible.

References We ask all our candidates to provide professional referees for the last two years of employment and suggest that you ask your referees ahead of the registration as it can prompt them to send it through quicker when its requested by Yorkshire Education.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Certificate A DBS check is a record of a person's criminal convictions and cautions – carried out by the Disclosure and Barring Service. Anyone who works with children is required to have one and it allows employers to make safer recruitment decisions.

At Yorkshire Education, we require all our candidates to have a DBS certificate which is on the update service. We email a link to you following your registration to start this process if you haven’t already got one. It can take a couple of weeks for the DBS to clear depending the time of year the request is made. You have 30 days to register with the update service after the DBS certificate issue date.

It is only when you have successfully registered with the update service that your DBS check is usable with Yorkshire Education. The DBS update service lets you keep your DBS certificates up to date online and allows employers to check a certificate status at any time.

Overseas Clearance If you have been working abroad for over six months you will need to provide evidence of overseas clearance from the country you were working in. This is separate to the DBS process.

Safeguarding Certificate This certificate shows that you understand your responsibilities with protecting children and vulnerable adults. It is common for educational providers to require all their staff to have one and update it regularly.

Make sure you keep a copy of the certificate once you have completed the training as we can use it as evidence. If you don’t have one, or if it is out of date it’s not a problem as we can send you a link to complete free online training.

There are other documents you need to bring to your registration appointment so make sure you read our registration email carefully so you don’t forget to bring something.

If you are interested in receiving regular opportunities for work, please contact us now as we would love to hear from you.

01904 481800

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
whip ma whop ma gate
York Tower
York tower 3
York tower 2
York St. Williams
York St. Mary's
York St. Marys 2
York City Centre Sign
York The Shambles
York The Shambles 2
York Minster Rose Window
York River Ouse
York River Ouse 5
York River Ouse 4
York River Ouse 3
York River Ouse 2
York Minster 1
York Minster 3
The Last Drop Inn York
York Lamp
York Lamp 4
York Lamp 3
York Lamp 2
York Kings Arms
York Viking Museum
York Minster 6
York Cliffords Tower
York City Centre
York City Bikes
bottom of page